#Spilliaert's at Mu.ZEE



Let me have my last day on earth in an art museum, I wanna die peacefully and be surrounded by people who share the same spirit, embody the same energy. A constant unending process of creativity which has no number emerging, and I always am grateful to have witnessed with my own eyes the things that most people won’t specifically see. I feel back to myself, I feel no fear. I can embrace my most individuality. 

Quoted what Léon Spilliaert had said, 

“To me, the only thing that counts is my individuality; it is everything to me; I am not so certain that all the other things actually exist. It is like a phantasmagoria when I view the life that goes on outside myself it is often with abundant fantasy.” 



This is probably the first thing that caught my attention. My brainwork went far to how's individuality mean so much to Spilliaert and how it later affects me to embrace mine either. When I initially entered the room, I didn't know who is Spilliaert, it was never a problem anyway until I read the vers - how could I be this late of knowing an artist with such selfhood? Not everyone can realize themselves regarding the thing he said. Shortly after, I started realizing how his individuality becomes a magnet and it distinguishes him from the others, he is powerful in his own way. 

--

I found his pieces in an art museum I have never thought I would have given a visit here in Belgium. It is in Oostend. Turns out, he came from the region so although the building wasn’t built particularly for him, he’s got his own floor which displays his oeuvre. Ever since he’s been my new spirit animal. 

He played with a combination of mediums, the thing that I always am interested in, also used a strong personal technique which made his paintings and drawings became striking though they still seem attractively simple. 

“The atmosphere in his works is oppressive, anxious, quiet and meditative. They reflect his own state of mind.” 

I used to wonder why some people can put gaze on one's painting for quite a while. Besides the fact that they have a high sense of art - I’m pretty sure about it - they must have thrown such lavish sincere praise and compliments upon the painting especially in regards to the details of it. Now I know exactly how it feels when you have so much admiration towards one’s works of art.

--

I remember staring at this for quite a while. How his brain worked out to let the hand made form and gradation like that, how the shades make me feel. Through naked eyes, it might look unattractive or lacking unusual and special aspects. But if you closely see and get an eyeful of, the effect is truly astonishing! 



Léon Spilliaert, Zwarte marine, 1900
Indian ink and charcoal on papier
collectie Mu.ZEE Oostende


Léon Spilliaert, Woman with Child Reading at the table, 1917
Watercolor and pencil on paper
Collectie Mu.ZEE, Oostende


Léon Spilliaert, Vertigo, 1908
Pastel and Indian ink on paper
Collectie Mu.ZEE, Oostende




Comments

See also

Semesta Selalu Memberi

Seseorang Harusnya Berpikir Sekaligus Merasa